Over 30 Hackney Hosts volunteers descended onto Gillett Square in Dalston on Tuesday 7 June to find out more about voluntary opportunities and celebrate their achievements so far.
The day was part of Volunteers Week 2011 and volunteers enjoyed a great atmosphere with people dancing in the café and tucking into the BBQ.
We asked the volunteers what they had been involved in and what their highlight has been so far.
PAUL : Champions training participant
“It is early days for me, but I have been involved in Champions training which has been very enjoyable and I learnt a lot about my character e.g. how I deal with problems.
I was also at the BBC radio Bus event held in Dalston last month. I was on the market stall talking to people about the 2012 games and how to get involved in volunteering.
What has been the highlight so far?
“The highlight has been meeting the Hackney 2012 Team from the Council. I told them my thoughts on the Champions program so far.
I raised the point that the Hackney Hosts volunteers do not reflect a cross section of the community at the moment and I received some useful feedback from them which was good to know.”
BRIAN: Eastern Curve Gardens participant
BRIAN: Eastern Curve Gardens participant
What voluntary opportunities have you been engaged in?“I have been involved in the Eastern Curve Gardens project, Dalston Total Play Days and worked as a Census volunteer.”
What has been the highlight so far?
“The Eastern Curve Gardens has been the highlight for me so far. I helped a disabled girl who was at the garden recently which for me felt very worthwhile and I am keen to learn more about the specifics of gardening.”
Story by: Adaku Okoro
Pictures by: Bola Kadara

No comments:
Post a Comment